Friday, May 05, 2006

Race season is here!

Well, next Saturday I'll start racing. I've already skipped a few cross country races because I've decided to compete much less than last season. I'm probably not going to race any time-trials at all. Conditioning has become much tougher this spring, mostly because of very little exercise and too much food this past winter. I managed to add 15lbs to my mid-section and hey, it's slowing me down!

Last night I cranked-out a 28 mile trek of backroads and a couple of laps through the Addison Oaks race loop. It's regretably the only reasonably long ride I've been able to fit in this spring.

The first race is a 12 hour epic at Addison Oaks County Park on May 13 from 10am-10pm consisting of a nice mix of single track in heavy woods and a bit of two track (service road). The trail only has a few midsize climbs, some minor technical features (log piles, rock/boulder beds) and all-in-all is pretty fast. The flow is very enjoyable, quite a few sections on the course allow for "recovery" which I use without reservation. My brain wants to ride full-out the whole race but hey...it's 12 hours, you need to recover.

In case your wondering, I have a team mate. We alternate laps over the 12 hours. He is the faster and stronger of the team and an all-around great guy. His name is Lloyd Lind. Two years ago he was the NORBA state champion in the 40 over beginner class. He won 12 races in a row his first year racing. Not a bad guy to have on your team eh? I managed 3rd in state last year in the same division. We both race sport division now and it's the most competitive of all the classes. Many ex-elite/expert riders eventually end up in the sport class in their 40's. I can only hope to not finish last this season. I feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it.

















Veronica and I ride together about 3-5 days a week. We have an 11 mile loop we like alot with some very tough climbs or an 8.5 mile slightly abbreviated loop. She rides a 6 mile loop solo on the nights I go on training rides (the painful days). I've tried to convince her to compete (just for the fun of it) but she's been a tough nut to crack. It really is a great way to do something together that's healthy and challenging. I just think it would be cool if we could go to the races together and both push it to the limits!

Memorial Day weekend our 4 man team will take on the 24 hours of Boyne race...but that will be another story. God Bless.

4 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger TheGaffords said...

Well, it's true. You are a crazy man! While Melissa and I were in Chicago visiting her parents, her dad took me on a 6 mile loop up and down the hills of the suburbs and I couldn't navigate stairs that night! I can't even imagine going 12 or 24 hours. For that you have a serious amount of respect coming your way from me. I think even my bike cringes when it hears 24 hour race. Keep it up, you crazy trail master!

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger TheGaffords said...

By the way, you still up for Doyle when he is in town?

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Joelle Lynn said...

Okay I want to ride, lets double team Matt and see if we can get you and he and Veronica and I to go ride some time.
In the mean time we are going to hit Genesis church in Royal Oak tomorrow at 11:00 if you want to join us. You can chek them out at
genesisthechurch.net or maybe it is .org I forget, they are a church plant from Kensington.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Lloyd said...

By the way, I only won 7 races that year sandwiched around an 8th place finish in a 8 hour event, but I am looking forward to doing more events with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home